The Ganz wagons were equipped with 4 electrical motors each of them having a power of 33 KW (about 44 hp). These engines functioning with DC and they gave to the railcar a maximum power of 132 KW (approximate 177 hp).
Built by the Ganz Factories from Budapest, the motor wagons benefit at the time there were put into circulation by the most advanced technical solutions of the age, meant to enhance safety and comfort for the passengers: multiple commands, Knorr air brakes made in Germany, electrical heating and ventilation and also electrical lighting.
The passengers were delighted in the early years about the fact that the rmotor wagon was having ceiling vents. Opened during the rides these ensured a good ventilation inside.
For a better nightime visibility the motor wagon received a headlight, that was placed centrally on both ends of the vehicle. This element was also very much appreciated by the travelers, because it gives to the train a special look. Another particular characteristic were the doors placed in the middle of the command cabin. These were used in the event of several motor coaches being linked one after the other, in which case the doors in question allowed transit between wagons.
The motor wagon had 48 seats on the banks, 24 for the second class and as much for the 3rd class. At the centre in the space dividing the two classes it was set up a toilet for travelers opposite a cabin for conductors. Initially painted gray, most of the Ganz wagons were painted in green during the last year of the First World War for camouflage reasons, this color gave later the train the name “Green Arrow”.
After they were passed to the CFR (Romanian State-owned Railroad Company) in 1948, the Ganz wagons suffered modifications both outside, where the big front headlights placed on the roof were changed slowly with smaller ones, and inside, where the wooden banks were replaced with upholstered banks covered in brown oilcloth. Changes have also been made to the windows. CFR eliminated several segments of the front windows and replaced it with whole windows. The modification was made to provide a better view for the drivers but also to ease the way of renewal of them.
1913 the Company that manage the Arad – Podgoria route/line bought in total 15 such Ganz wagons. For their maintenance and also for maintaining in good shape their carriages they built 4 harbours in Arad, Ghioroc, Pancota and Radna cities. They were technologically equipped so that in them any kind of repairs could be done.
By the take over of the line from IJTL (Local County Transport Enterprise) in 1983 in documents there were still all 15 Ganz wagons. Four of them weren’t in acceptable shape for use and were sent to scrap a year later. Not long before the track was closed, after an accident, a fifth wagon was sent to scrap and another 3 wagons were taken out of use in 2006.
In 1995 the Public Transport Company restored a Ganz engine at his initial form from 1913. The reconstruction work was done by the Astra Vagoane Calatori from Arad. Along with this restored wagon, there are still 6 Ganz wagons in different stages of conservation.